Video Streaming Ads.
Streaming advertising refers to the delivery of ads across streaming services or connected TV (CTV) platforms.
Streaming advertising allows businesses to distribute promotional content on popular entertainment platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Max, Paramount Plus, and Disney Plus. On these platforms, advertisers can target audiences based on demographics like age, location, gender, behavior, and more. Additionally, businesses are able to create engaging and interactive ads that generate greater awareness and action. Advertising on streaming platforms also generates valuable data which allows marketers to actively optimize their campaigns.
Advertising on streaming platforms gives brands the opportunity to reach large, diverse audiences with data-driven insights about their preferences and relation to the brand.
- More streaming platforms are adopting ad-supported membership models, creating new opportunities for advertisers to interact with engaged users.
- Greater reach: streaming platforms have large, diverse user bases spanning regions of the world.
- Better results: higher conversion rates at a lower cost for a higher return on ad spend, “better bang for your buck”
- Real-time delivery: ads are delivered in real-time to users, allowing for timely placements based on trends and events.
- Better personalization through user data collected about demographics, interests, and behavior.
- Ability to retarget display advertisements to users who interacted with the brand. This reinforces awareness, grows consideration, and generates conversions.
- Places your product at the forefront of trends
- Most streaming advertisement is bought on a cost-per-a-thousand impressions (CPM) basis, meaning that advertisers pay for their ads to be displayed to viewers.
What is the difference between streaming and broadcast ads?
Broadcast ads are purchased for set times on the radio or traditional television, which means that it is heard/seen during the time and date contracted. The only way a user can see the ad again is if it was recorded when it was being aired.
Streaming ads can be seen by the user whenever they decide to listen or watch the episode on the streaming service being used. While both broadcast and streaming ads can be very effective, these important factors need to be considered when planning for each.
(For example, if the message is time-sensitive, broadcast ads might be best. If it is a more evergreen message, a streaming ad would result in more overall listeners/views.)
Speak to an expert.
Send us a message to get help from our amazing team!
Hulu offers ad placement during their content in various forms including short videos, interactive experiences, and display ads. While creating ads, marketers can import unique call-to-action buttons and clickable overlays that promote further engagement.
Advertisers can also target their content based on demographics, behavior, and interests to reach specific audiences. Additionally, they can collaborate with Hulu to create sponsored content for the streaming service’s original shows. After running ads on Hulu, advertisers are given metrics on performance including impressions, click-through rates, and actions.
Hulu’s extensive catalog of shows and large audience means that advertisers can target their content to relevant, engaged audiences.
- Advertising on Hulu is simple. From their dashboard, advertisers can manage their schedule and set budgets, select a target audience, upload their ads, and review data for future optimizations.
- Local businesses can also benefit from Hulu advertising with local reach targeting. Through this tool, they can reach audiences in specific cities, zip codes, or designated marketing areas.
Types of Ads:
- Video commercial ads: The most classic ad form, video commercial ads appear during breaks in shows and movies on Hulu.
- Binge ads: Binge ads appear after a user has watched 3 consecutive episodes of the same show. They are paired with messages like “Enhance your binge session with [product/service] or “Enjoy this ad-free episode, presented by [brand]”.
- Pause ads: These ads appear in a small box at the bottom of the screen when a viewer pauses their content.
- Ad selector: Viewers can select an advertisement from several commercial options; creating a more personalized experience and increasing the likelihood of reaching relevant customers.
- Brand Entertainment Selector (BES) ads: Viewers can opt for longer commercials followed by an ad-free episode or continue watching with intermittent ad breaks.
Netflix is viewed by millions every day with many opting for their ad-supported membership tier.
Ads on Netflix appear alongside their movies and shows in 15-30 second slots.
Netflix’s $6.99 ad-supported tier is available in several countries in North America, South America, and Europe.
Advertisers can customize the genre and maturity rating of content, user demographics and location, and time of day their ads appear. Additionally, they can target Netflix’s ever-changing top 10 TV shows and movies to take advantage of their massive reach. Ad space on Netflix is purchased through a programmatic ad platform, allowing for easy access to inventory and bidding.
Netflix ads will be displayed across their desktop, mobile, and connected TV devices.
- Advertisers can choose not to run ads against explicit content
- Example: NYX Cosmetics and L’Oreal Paris were able to advertise on an episode of Emily in Paris, a show focused on fashion and beauty.
Paramount Plus boasts a range of ad placements/formats, in-depth audience insights, and broad reach through their platform. Paramount also offers placements across several platforms including CTV, mobile, and desktop devices.
Paramount + ads appear during shows, movies, and live streams for users with the $5.99 ad-supported membership.
Additionally, Paramount Plus’s Brand Studio and Creative teams work with businesses to optimize their audience placement and create high-quality branded content, and partnerships that integrate products/services into shows.
Ads on Max appear before and during content for users who pay for the plan with ads ($9.99 per month). Advertisers can select target audiences based on demographics, interests, and behaviors; this leads ads to appear alongside certain content.
According to WarnerMedia, 40% of HBO Max’s daily signups are for their ad-supported tier, showing there is a large audience of engaged viewers to reach with ads.
- Chance for ads to appear alongside some of their most popular titles such as Succession, Friends, The White Lotus, Game of Thrones, and more.
Ads will be shown to users with the Disney+ Basic membership and certain bundles with Hulu and ESPN+. Ads will appear before and during content in 15-60 second blocks, similar to traditional commercials.
Disney+ Ads are tailored to user demographics, location, and watch history; to create the most relevant and engaging experience. Disney ad slots are purchased directly from the publisher through their Disney Advertising Sales Department.
- Family-friendly brands can reach their target market
- Ad placement across Disney properties including Marvel, Star Wars (Lucasfilms), Pixar, Walt Disney Studios, National Geographic, and more.